Artificial Intelligence has transformed almost every industry. Recently, its influence has been significant on Future of healthcare. Will these automated healthcare offerings are really helpful, let’s find out through this blog?
Fast forward ten decades to the future, a similar situation like the pandemic is at its peak. But people still need to get their regular check-ups and on the other hand, there is a queue of sick people waiting outside the clinic. How do we make this process easy flowing? By integrating AI with the system.
In the wake of the pandemic, connected care has become a reality and in the future, it is only going to get more advanced. The rapidly growing and aging population has put immense pressure on medical professionals and with the integration of advanced technologies like data science and AI, the pressure could be released a little.
Since its introduction, AI has grown immensely and so have its applications widened. Artificial intelligence can detect patterns that are difficult for the human mind to comprehend. It can also integrate information from multiple sources. Having easily transferable health information can unlock incredible outcomes and significantly improve the process for providers and patients.
Artificial Intelligence already has its presence in healthcare. The top 10 ways AI will influence the future of healthcare:
- Organized Healthcare Logistics: With the involvement of AI, healthcare and medicine treatments can be easily organized. The physicians can easily have the access to patient treatment history and which care is on priority. The patients will be able to skip the long queue when the AI system can predict which test will take less time for each patient. This saves the patient time and also gives a better healthcare experience.
- Medical Records Management: Managing the EHR systems and Health IT has been one of the major causes of physician burnout. But these tasks are not related to the practice of medicine and with the integration of algorithms, these mundane tasks can be easily automated. Artificial Intelligence can be utilized in data management. With AI involved in the collection, distribution, storage, and tracing of data, the healthcare systems can significantly revolutionize.
- Improvised Decision Making and Diagnosis: Several studies have proven that the use of AI has benefitted radiologists improve the accuracy of cancer detection from radiological scans. The amalgamation of AI algorithms can assist physicians in decision-making and also improve the accuracy of diagnoses. In the coming years, when AI is coupled with reinforcement learning it will be capable of discovering accurate treatments and cures for patients.
- Eliminating human labor in repetitive tasks: A study in the U.S. stated that an average doctor spends 8.7 hours per week on mundane repetitive tasks. These types of tasks can be automated with the inclusion of AI. It will also help in eliminating the human labor required for such repetitive jobs. AI-backed solutions will help medical professionals minimize the burden of administration and after-hours charting.
- Online Consultation become the norm: The pandemic has already increased the popularity of remote consultation. But with the world returning to normalcy, AI-powered online consultation can scan medical history and use common medical knowledge to recommend an appropriate course of action for the patients.
- Healthcare assistance: Just like voice assistants, AI can enable the help of virtual physicians at a click of your smartphone. The healthcare assistant can be used for customized monitoring of chronic conditions or as an at-home physician when you feel down with the flu.
- Personalized and targeted treatments: AI can prove highly useful in studying genetics and genomics. With the help of Deep Genomics, we can find the patterns in giant data sets of genetic information which can be later used for mutations and any link to disease. The new-gen technologies can then help the doctors in determining what will happen to the cell when DNA is altered. Artificial Intelligence holds the potential to analyze this genetic data and deliver personalized solutions and targeted medications for patients.
- Cost-effective Drug Discovery: We have witnessed how clinical trials can take years to come up with a relevant cure and also cost billions in the process. Meanwhile, by integrating AI in the process, drug creation can be revolutionized. Artificial Intelligence makes drug creation a cost-effective and time-saving process and can help reduce the time to find accurate treatment for chronic diseases.
- Open AI ecosystem: An open AI ecosystem will encompass a large amount of data available, coupled with advances in natural language processing and social awareness algorithms. These applications of AI can become increasingly beneficial to consumers.
- Automating Healthcare systems: Most of the healthcare invoices have data related to the treatment, the healthcare provider, and the hospital. Digitizing these invoices and using AI to scan the data can help the patients determine if the hospital or doctor makes repetitive mistakes in a certain type of disease and avoid unnecessary hospitalization of patients.
Are we ready for AI-Future of healthcare?
AI has been feared by the community for overtaking its labor. We first need to get comfortable with the idea of AI and automated solutions. Several challenges are awaiting us in making AI-powered healthcare the new norm. The healthcare tech advancements look promising but the challenge that awaits us is the large amount of data distributed across EHRs and health systems.
In the last two years, we witnessed that automated healthcare assistance can prove beneficial and significantly improve healthcare delivery. This can be further advanced if we can enable the access to medical data of patients. After coupling artificial intelligence with healthcare, we can enter better and enhanced future of healthcare where patient care will be highly improved.