- Retail brands are increasingly venturing into the healthcare sector, with initiatives spanning retail health clinics and wearable medical devices, aiming to enhance healthcare accessibility in homes.
- The shift towards healthcare services by retailers is driven by a recognition of the industry’s significant responsibilities, highlighted by FTC Chair Lina Khan, who emphasized the critical nature of healthcare transactions.
Retailer brands are showing growing interest in the healthcare sector, exploring avenues to enter the nearly $4 trillion healthcare industry. These endeavors include various projects, such as retail health clinics and wearable medical devices, with the goal of improving access to healthcare services, particularly within the home environment.
This shift into healthcare services also comes with heightened responsibilities, as emphasized by Federal Trade Commission (FTC) Chair Lina Khan. Khan pointed out that healthcare transactions are far more consequential than traditional retail, often involving matters of life and death.
Best Buy’s Healthcare Ventures
Leading retailers such as Best Buy are at the forefront of this transformation. Best Buy has made significant strides in the health sector, acquiring companies specializing in at-home technology, patient monitoring, and healthcare services.
- The retailer is focused on aiding patients in using and troubleshooting their new medical devices providing technology support.
- The company has introduced interactive displays in its stores, allowing customers to explore new technology for at-home healthcare.
GE Healthcare’s At-Home Focus
This trend isn’t exclusive to retailers; established healthcare companies like GE Healthcare are also shifting focus to at-home care. GE Healthcare sees potential in portable medical devices sold through retailers and is exploring opportunities for healthcare services at retail sites, such as adding mammogram services in retail stores.
These developments underscore the evolving landscape of healthcare delivery and the growing importance of technology and accessibility in the industry.
1. Why are retail brands showing interest in healthcare?
Retail brands see a significant market opportunity in the healthcare sector, which is worth nearly $4 trillion.
2. What has Best Buy done in the healthcare domain?
Best Buy has acquired companies specializing in at-home technology and healthcare services, focusing on aiding patients in using medical devices and offering technology support.
3. How is GE Healthcare adapting to the shift toward at-home care?
GE Healthcare is exploring opportunities in the at-home space, including portable medical devices sold through retailers and the addition of healthcare services at retail locations.
4. Why are retail health services important for patients?
Retail health services offer convenience and accessibility for patients, making it easier to access healthcare solutions and at-home care.